Wednesday, May 16, 2007

sunny days

In the winter, the dark, wet days seem to stretch out endlessly and I begin to wonder if I'll ever see the sun again. Dave sits at his light box in the mornings, trying to at least get some artificial daylight to lessen the effects of SAD (seasonal affective disorder-aptly named) and just when I think I can't take another drop of rain on my addled head, spring comes!

Now the days are warm, and I have trouble staying inside the studio and working when the sun is shining. I've been waking up in the morning to what sounds like a million birds having a wild party outside my window. I go out to get the newspaper in the morning, and before I know it, I'm off the porch in my pajamas, weeding the front flower beds... The garden is going crazy! I throw seeds in the ground, and they seem to sprout without any encouragement. Here's a picture of a climbing rose, called "The Impressionist", that grows on a twig trellis outside my studio. It's in full bloom at the moment, beckoning me outside to paint it. (silly me, I thought I'd photograph it and paint it later, but it still drew me out of the studio nonetheless...) Sighhh. Maybe it'll be cloudy tomorrow and I'll get some work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?