Tuesday, November 13, 2012

it's time to celebrate!

I can hardly believe it, but it's already been twenty years since we started this.
It all began when my family moved to Portland from San Francisco in 1991.  That first autumn, I noticed there were lots of "holiday bazaars" held in private homes all over my neighborhood. I had never seen anything like it before, and though the taste level ranged from 1950s-era crocheted toilet paper covers to much more sophisticated fine art and craft pieces you might find in a gallery setting, these homey craft shows were really the precursors to today's pop-up shops. It sure sparked my entrepreneurial spirit, and in October of 1992 I decided to give it a try at our house.

I wrangled a few creative friends, cleared out the first floor of the house and we set up a temporary shop, complete with hot cider and cookies to make our shoppers happy. I wish I had photos of that first sale, but after spending an hour on my knees looking through old photos, I gave up, poured myself a glass of wine and decided to recount the tale without pictures.

I did find my records from the first sale, though...we sold hand painted ornaments, the first Santa dolls I ever made, painted wooden bowls, birdhouses and lots of goofy crafts that were popular back then.
This year, we have a host of amazing local artists making everything from blown glass to wearable art.
I draw the line, however, at crocheted toilet paper covers.
Stay tuned!



1 comment:

  1. Kind of disappointed case I would have loved to have made this set for my Santa Crazy sister...sad...sigh

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?